Sunday, November 30, 2008

Status Update: 159/368 - 43% tasted

So, I'm about a third of the way into my evaluation of the 1001 ingredients and I have only tried 43% of them. I am quite shocked. As an adventurous eater and a self proclaimed armature foodie since I was a child it is a bit odd. I can't imagine what Meat and Potato eaters would be scoring.

I grew up in a family where food was and is key to our social and family life. We were never expected to eat everything on our plate, but we were expected to try everything. My mother is an excellent cook, one of the best anyone's standards, and is very adventuresome in her cooking. She's apparently on a Moroccan kick right now after my father bought her the Le Creuset Tangier for her birthday. Not only that I am a fan of all sorts of foods - sushi, Ethiopian, Thai, Chinese, you name it, I'll try it.

Anyway, I am wondering if part of the challenge of the list is that it is so restrictive in its ingredients. Under dairy for example, I adore "Clotted Cream" yet have I had "Cornish Clotted Cream"??? I don't think so, so I have not indicated it as a yes. I am sure that I have had "Devon Clotted Cream". I like the challenge of trying to find the Cornish variety though.

All in all I am happy to be failing the list so far. Means more culinary adventures!!!

No comments: