Saturday, January 3, 2009

Le Grand Retour

We have just returned from our "grand vacance" in Europe and I feel like I have gained 10 pounds. It was truly a magnificent holiday, not to mention a gastronomic adventure extraordinaire. We did not eat particularly adventurously, but we ate incredibly well and everywhere we turned there were feasts for the eyes.


It has been a while since I have been to France and I had forgotten how much of their life revolves around the appreciation of food. Not only do they shop everyday for the freshest ingredients, but they treasure every food. The window displays are unbelievable and the shopkeepers amazing. The cheese shops are like visiting your best friend and having them recommend their favourite book, the butchers treat their meat like it is being served to their own families and the chocolatiers are like jewellers.


I struggled with how to capture the beauty of the food that we saw and also some of my favourite food shops that we visited while we were there and decided that I would take lots of pictures and figure it out when I got home. After sifting through the close to 1000 pictures I took, I have decided that I would profile some of them here and show some of the pics that I took.

We were based in Strasbourg, Alsace, France for 2 weeks, and spent days travelling to Germany and Switzerland. As is common in this part of Europe, the food was heavily based on the German side with lots of pork and veal with strong French influences. Bread was everywhere with the best baguettes and petit pain au chocolats and the cheeses were to die for.

Anyway, I have lots of great pics and things to write about and can't wait. Lots to come in the next little while!

No comments: